South African Woman Goes to America to Au Pair, Matches With the Wrong Family, Tells Her Horror Stor

May 2024 · 4 minute read

PAY ATTENTION: Empowering lives, one story at a time. Briefly News launched a YouTube channel Briefly TV. Subscribe now!

Au pairing abroad seems like the dream for a lot of people, but the grass isn't always greener on the other side. This poor woman got matched with the wrong family and ended up living in a movie scene for three long weeks.

Families who employ au pairs from other countries are generally very wealthy. While it seems to be a great experience for most, this lady became that rare statistic whose experience was a horror story.

Mzansi woman tells the strange things that happened to her au pairing abroad

TikTok user @rebotile85 landed in the US and ended up with the wrong family, and it was downhill from there. Being stuck in a house with another au pair, looking after three-year-old twins who were not allowed to eat solids, only puree baby food, was a wild ride.

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly News on your News Feed!

The woman couldn't believe someone needed two weekday au pairs and one for the weekend just to look after two small children, and that is just one of the mind-blowing factors of the wild situation.

Hear her full story in the video below:

Woman explains reason for sharing her story

Briefly News got in contact with the woman to understand her story better and as to why she shared it. We also asked her how au pairing abroad differed from SA, and if this line of work is possible for someone with kids. This is what she said:

"I’m not an au pair right now. I was an au pair 13 years ago. The reason I shared my experience was because I was seeing a lot of SA au pairs on my timeline complaining about living abroad through the au pair cultural exchange."So as an ex-au pair who could relate to their stories and struggles, I decide to share my own and also offer support and encouragement for girls in the program at the moment, in the process or younger girls who would like to go on this cultural exchange."My videos are basically to share information that the agencies wouldn’t share as they are trying to get more girls into this program. They talk about the good staff and leave out the bad."

Mzansi people could not believe what they were hearing

People let the good sis know that she did the right thing by feeding those poor children proper food. This video just solidified the belief that the super-rich does some strange things.

Read some of the comments:

Helen Rita Waller said:

“Lady is right. the kids were hungry. Africans are no fuss. they are practical and knowledgeable about child care. African lady helped me with my kids.”

Thandie Lelimo laughed:

“What if they were allergic to the things you cooked for them???”

Charlotte Smith felt for the poor kids:

“It sounds like the employer never spends time with her children ”

Sanet Janssen was shocked:

“Haibo! Three years and eating Purity wow.”

Girl cries as baby brother rejects her, refuses to be carried: "Not easy to handle rejection"

In related news, Briefly News reported that a mother has shared a video showing the moment her daughter started crying just because her baby brother would not allow her to carry him.

The woman, @chinweyndu, said that the baby loves the girl's younger sibling better. The video reinforces this.

As the daughter stretches her hands towards him with tears in her eyes, the kid refuses.

ncG1vNJzZmiaop6yp7jYZ5qoZqqWfLGxzqmjnmdha39yfZhmqqitpJ16orLRopqapl2svK6tzWaYpp2inrCiecCuZKmZmad6rq3TnJ%2Beq12sv7C6xmadmqWZocZuwMSlo6xlmKS%2Fs7vRZqqtp6KufA%3D%3D